If you’ve always wanted to learn
how to dive, this course is for you. This course is for beginners
and provides the essential knowledge and skills needed to prepare for open
The BSAC Ocean Diver course prepares for this in the
safety of a swimming pool or sheltered water and an introduction to open water
in a controlled, safe manner. Experience and confidence will be gained under
the guidance of a qualified instructor. Maximum depth - 20m.
A basic level of comfort in the water is important and you will have to
demonstrate that you can swim 200m in swimwear.
What you’ll learn
The BSAC Ocean Diver course has three main stages:
1. Lessons and theory assessment on the basic principles of scuba diving
2. Five confined water dives to learn the basics in the water (usually in a
3. Five open water dives to further develop your scuba diving skills
The fun bit
Will hopefully be from start to finish! Learning to dive is a life changing
experience for many people. Breathing underwater for the first time is
something you will never forget and the experience of learning with others is
great fun. Your instructor is trained to look after you every step of the way.
Qualification and what that means
A BSAC Ocean Diver is defined as a diver who is competent to conduct dives:
• to a maximum depth of 20m.
• with another BSAC Ocean Diver or with a BSAC Sports Diver, within the
restrictions of the conditions already encountered during training.
• with a Dive Leader or higher grade, to expand experience beyond the
conditions encountered during training, under the supervision of a Dive
• not requiring mandatory decompression stops.
• under the on-site supervision of a Dive Manager with respect to site
selection, conditions and dive plan.
You will be given a pack as part of your course which includes all the learning
materials you need for the BSAC Ocean Diver course. The pack includes: The
Diving Manual, BSAC Qualification Record Book, Qualification Card application
and an A5 binder with your Student Diver Notes.
Swimwear and towel, mask, snorkel, weights, wetsuits, fins.